Sunday 13 March 2016

BUFFY THE SLAY QUEEN


Once upon a time, when I was about 8/9 years old, we had a fancy dress day at my primary school & I choose to go as Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Complete with a crucifix & an photo of Angel tucked into my pocket, I felt totally badass. So badass that I even kicked a boy in the nuts for making me jump (it was the first time I was sent to stand at the railings for all of lunch, a weird form of detention).

This Thursday marked the 19th anniversary of the show & I don't know about you but although it's been 13 years since the final episode, I'm still mourning the loss of the preppy heroine! Buffy Summers was someone I idolized, proving that the lil blonde girl doesn't always have to be the damsel in distress. Buffy would never be the first to die in a horror film, she'd be too busy destroying the monster & his entire clan too. While still looking super cute. She literally SLAYS. 

We can't forget the other characters though - remember Giles? The sweet father figure who lived to protect Buffy. Or how about Willow the witch? Not forgetting my personal favourite: Spike. Oh Spike, with your beautiful peroxide curls & killer cheekbones. He's like an evil Billy Idol. As much as the love between Buffy & Angel was adorable, I always held a flame for this badboy. Everyone loves an underdog & Spike's unrequited love was definitely enough to make my heart melt. It also helps that he's perpetually British & sarcastic too.

Thinking back, there was a whole lotta love in this show. Spike for Buffy. Dawn for Spike. Willow for Tara. That was pretty hard hitting right? I don't remember a lot of 90's teen shows that took on the subject of lesbian love affairs so beautifully. Although full of high browed demons, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was real. It portrayed some hard-hitting life issues but through a fantasy viewpoint, making it the perfect series to grow up with (although I won't lie, some of the monsters did give me nightmares - just google 'The Gentlemen' & you'll see).

Check out some of my favourite Buffy moments below then head over to Netflix to get your Sunnydale fix! 

Hannah Russell x
@fashionfancyidiot










No comments:

Post a Comment